Happiness comes when we choose to be happy each and every day.
Whether you are trying to lose weight this year, are trying to make new friends, or going after a new job or raise, achieving the goal won’t make you happy. It’ll feel real good, but whether or not you achieve or fail this year you are absolutely the master of your own happiness.
Research shows that the biggest influencer of our own happiness is not what happens to us, like getting hired or losing 50 pounds, but how we choose to live each day. Sonja Lyubomirsky, PhD, the author of The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want, talks about how our happiness is affected by certain percentages of different aspects of life.
- 10% of happiness is due to circumstance; things we have no control over
- 50% is due to genetics; that’s a fixed amount
- 40% of happiness is due to intentional activity
- Go with the flow
- Meditate daily
- Eat well
- Be grateful
- Be helpful to others/Do volunteer work
- Travel more
- Love your family and friends
- Try new things
What helps you to be happy? Share in the comments below.